Fire is second largest in county
Picnic Rock was the county's second largest fire on record, after the
Bobcat Gulch Fire of 2000. Other Larimer County fires larger than 1,000
acres include the following:
- 1978: Killpecker Fire, west of Red Feather Lakes, 1,200 acres.
- 1980: Beartrap Fire, near Crystal Lakes subdivision, 2,700 acres.
- 1988: Grace Creek Fire, west of the Laramie River Valley, 2,800 acres.
- 1989: Livermore Fire, south of Livermore, 1,967 acres.
- 1994: Hourglass Fire in Pingree Park area, 1,221 acres.
- 2000: Bobcat Gulch Fire between Drake and Masonville, 10,600 acres.
- 2002: Big Elk Fire south of Estes Park, 4,348 acres.