The Carr Community Church, formerly Carr Presbyterian Church, celebrated its 100th anniversary on Aug. 27 with approximately 175 people attending. Everyone enjoyed a barbecue, gospel music by West Wind Connection and the Burds, silent auction, slide show of old and new photos, and a lot of reminiscing with old friends, some as far away as Washington. Many had been married and raised their families in the little church.
Special church services on Aug. 28 ended the celebration with former pastors Bob Korthuis, John Ashmen and current pastor Ken Gunter giving the message.
Submitted by Sharon Mosness
The church began on Feb. 3, 1909, with the dedication of a few Christian ladies meeting as the Ladies Aid to begin plans to erect a church building. Through their many money-making projects such as oyster suppers and bazaars, the church was built and dedicated on Dec. 31, 1911.
It remained so until Feb. 14, 1988, when it was dissolved as a Presbyterian church but continued to meet as an independent congregation. On April 1, 1989, the congregation’s prayers were answered as the Presbytery of Boulder returned the building to the community and the church became the present Carr Community Church. The church had no plumbing until a fellowship hall was completed in 2008.
Ken Gunter has been the pastor of the thriving church since 2001. Services are held at 10:30 a.m. every Sunday.
For 100 years the church has faithfully served the community in times of joy and in times of sorrow.