Firefighters are continuing to take advantage of snow cover to burn slash piles across the Canyon Lakes Ranger District. Burning could continue at one or more of these locations throughout the week as conditions allow:
· Red Feather 1, south and east of Red Feather Lakes
· Crystal 4, near Crystal Lakes Subdivision
· Estes Valley 5, near Johnny Park Road
Help NFN Grow
U.S. Forest Service firefighters completed burning for the foreseeable future in the following areas:
· Thompson River 1, near Pinewood Reservoir
· Grizzly Gulch, near Pinewood Springs and the Highway 36 corridor.
This winter, crews have burned over 2,900 piles on the district.
Conditions are evaluated each day of the burn to determine if ignition will take place. Wind, fuel moisture, staffing and snow cover all play a factor in where and whether ignition occurs. An example of this took place yesterday when burning was cancelled in the Red Feather 1 area after test piles due to excessive wind speeds.
Please check the recorded information line at 970-498-1030 for the latest information.