Kelsey Graves accidentally electrocuted near Ted's Place

Support Northern Colorado Journalism

Show your support for North Forty News by helping us produce more content. It's a kind and simple gesture that will help us continue to bring more content to you.

Click to Donate

Kelsey Helen Graves, 13, of Bellvue was accidentally electrocuted July 19 as she was cleaning an irrigation pivot on land near Ted’s Place. Kelsey was the daughter of Morning Fresh Dairy owners Rob and Lori Graves.

Larimer County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called to assist Emergency Medical Services at 8:18 p.m. Thursday on a report of an agricultural accident. Medical staff from Poudre Valley Hospital and personnel from Poudre Fire Authority were already on scene when deputies arrived.

Sheriff’s reports indicate that Kelsey had been dropped off by her older brother to help clean a filter on the irrigation system. After receiving no response to a phone call, Kelsey’s brother returned to the location and found her unconscious. He began CPR immediately.

Other family members contacted 911 and arrived shortly thereafter. A medical helicopter was requested to transport Kelsey to the hospital, but she was pronounced deceased on scene at 8:44 p.m. The Larimer County Coroner confirmed the cause of death as accidental electrocution on July 20.