Renters may be eligible for FEMA grants

FEMA Individual Assistance is not only for homeowners. It is also be available for eligible renters, and it could include a grant to help pay for temporary emergency housing.

Renters in nine Colorado counties – Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Clear Creek, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer, Logan and Weld – could be eligible for FEMA disaster assistance if their homes were damaged by the recent storms, flooding, landslides or mudslides.

Support Northern Colorado Journalism

Show your support for North Forty News by helping us produce more content. It's a kind and simple gesture that will help us continue to bring more content to you.

BONUS - Donors get a link in their receipt to sign up for our once-per-week instant text messaging alert. Get your e-copy of North Forty News the moment it is released!

Click to Donate

Other FEMA grants can include help paying for disaster-related expenses that include:

• Replacement or repair of necessary personal property such as furniture and appliances;

• Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed;

• Primary vehicles and approved secondary vehicles;

• Medical and dental bills, and

• Funeral and burial bills.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also offers low-interest loans to renters for personal property losses.

The first step is to register with FEMA. People with disaster-related damages can register by phone at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Call center hours are 5 a.m. to 8 p.m., MDT, seven days a week. Applicants who are deaf or hard-of-hearing can use TTY 800-462-7585. People can also register on line at