FORT COLLINS, Colo., May 16, 2016 – Bohemian Foundation today announced it has named Jesse Elliott as director of the new Music District LLC, a Fort Collins music hub designed for musicians and music-related businesses.
Elliott will lead the Music District staff and will be responsible for all operational aspects of the Music District, including overall management, programming and community relations. Elliott will begin work as director today in preparation for the Music District’s opening in September.
“Jesse brings tremendous breadth of experience to this position,” Bohemian Foundation Music Programs Director Tom Scharf said. “He is both a longtime working musician as well as an effective and highly innovative leader with a track record of successfully initiating and implementing projects. We’re excited to see how the Music District develops under his directorship.”
Elliott previously acted as a consultant for the Music District through Range Music Ecosystems, a company that he co-founded. At Range Music Ecosystems Elliott developed music initiatives for a variety of clients across the state, including the City of Denver and the State of Colorado. Elliott also is a musician who has founded two touring bands that have performed more than 1,200 live shows.
“The Music District is an amazing model that has potential to support and build our music community,” said Elliott. “I’m looking forward to opening the doors in September.”
The Music District, located at 619 to 639 S. College Ave. is a five-building complex designed to serve as a dynamic gathering hub, workspace and creative playground for the music community. The space will be open to community members interested in honing their musical abilities, learning the music business and sharing their music-related skills with other music lovers. The Music District will include rehearsal areas, practice rooms and creative spaces, and it will house music-related service providers, retailers and organizations.
During the next several months, Elliott will oversee hiring of staff for the Music District. Please visit themusicdistrict.org for more information about the Music District and to submit inquiries and ideas.
Bohemian Foundation, a Fort Collins-based private family foundation established in 2001, works to empower citizens and impact communities through its responsive grant making programs and special initiatives. Bohemian Foundation provides support for the Music District. Visit bohemianfoundation.org for information about the foundation’s four program areas: Community Programs, Global Programs, Civic Programs and Music Programs.
ABOUT JESSE ELLIOTT
Jesse Elliott, who will serve as the Music District’s director, is a lifelong champion of collaborative creative efforts, social entrepreneurship, and the power of music and storytelling.
He previously acted as a consultant for the Music District through Range Music Ecosystems, a company that he co-founded. At Range Music Ecosystems Elliott developed music initiatives for a variety of clients across the state, including the City of Denver and the State of Colorado.
Elliott also is the founder and songwriter of two rock and roll bands, These United States and Ark Life. The bands have released six albums and performed live 1,200 times during the last decade, including performances at South by Southwest, Glastonbury and Lollapalooza.
Elliott has served as a contributing member of the Denver Music Task Force and as a council member for Colorado Creative Industries. He also assisted in authoring the State of Colorado’s official music strategy. Elliott was part of the team that planned, produced and booked the Denver Music Summit and the Biennial of the Americas, as well as a number of other festivals and concert series.
Before working in music full-time, Elliott wrote books and speeches with economist Richard Florida, co-founded a community nonprofit at the University of Iowa, helped shoot a documentary on water rights in southern Mexico and Guatemala, and ran an Italian deli on the Jersey Shore.
THE MUSIC DISTRICT FACT SHEET
- The Music District LLC is a Fort Collins music hub designed for musicians; music-related businesses and nonprofits; and music lovers of all varieties. For the novice or pro, the Music District is a place where people can hone their craft, learn the business, connect with community and share and enjoy music.
- Located at 619 to 639 S. College Ave., the Music District is a five-building, 57,000 square foot campus with communal areas and music industry co-working spaces; community radio and multimedia space; rehearsal rooms; retail spaces; and spaces for short-term music residencies.
- Many of the Music District activities will be free and open to the public and others will be fee-based.
- The local music community will activate the Music District with programming and events, and the Music District will showcase and enhance Fort Collins as a dynamic and vibrant music city.
- The Music District will connect Fort Collins to regional, national and international music communities through collaborative programming, partnerships and gatherings.
- The Music District will foster additional collaborations between educational institutions and the Fort Collins music community.
- The Music District programming and services are designed for those who are young adults and older.
- The Music District is slated to open in September, 2016. Visit themusicdistrict.org for more information.