Support Northern Colorado Journalism
Show your support for North Forty News by helping us produce more content. It's a kind and simple gesture that will help us continue to bring more content to you.Click to Donate
Spring and early summer is a popular time at the Baker Draw Designated Shooting Area on the Pawnee National Grassland, so it is also a good time to let everyone know about a management change and remind shooters about approved targets at the site.
Due to the difficulty of removing small-sized lead from dirt berms during maintenance activities, shot guns will no longer be allowed at Baker Draw Designated Shooting Area. This goes into effect June 1. Shot guns are still allowed for dispersed shooting on the grassland as long as safe shooting rules and regulations are followed.
Below are the general shooting rules and regulations for the Pawnee National Grassland:
· Only shoot at cardboard/paper targets, self-healing targets, manufactured metallic targets, or manufactured thrown-type clay targets. (No wooden backing allowed.) It is up to a $5,000 fine and/or imprisonment for up to six months for using an unapproved target. Clay targets are not allowed at Baker Draw Designated Shooting Area
· Shoot further than 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area. (This includes the Pawnee Bird Tour pull outs.)
· Do not shoot on or across a National Forest System Road or across a body of water.
· Do not shoot in any manner or place where any person or property is exposed to injury or damage.
· Do not possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while discharging a firearm.
· The area located in Township 8N, Range 63W, Section 7 is closed to recreational shooting for ¼ mile south of Weld County Road 96 and ¼ mile west of County Road 63. Shooting adjacent to the Baker Draw Designated Shooting area is also prohibited.
· No tracer rounds or incendiary rounds allowed. Exploding targets are prohibited.
· Clean up your targets and casings.
· Be aware of livestock and other grassland visitors.
· Respect all signs while visiting the Pawnee National Grassland.
· Additional information is available online at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/arp/targetshooting.
Baker Draw Designated Shooting area, located near the intersection of County Roads 96 and 61, offers berms providing 25, 50 and 100-yard shooting opportunities. There is a parking area, informational kiosk, target line and 30 shooting lanes with 26 benches. Users here must “pack-in, pack-out” spent shells and targets. This location can get busy on the weekends, so plan ahead in case you need an alternative location. Detailed information is online at www.fs.usda.gov/goto/arp/bakerdraw.